Manchester United missed out on signing Yerry Mina from Barcelona, despite Jose Mourinho making personal contact with the Colombia international.
The United manager had been desperate to reinforce his defence over the course of a summer transfer window which saw the Premier League giants linked with the likes of Toby Alderweireld, Jerome Boateng and Harry Maguire.
Mina emerged as a target following his commanding performances at the World Cup but ultimately moved to Everton on deadline day, despite reportedly having agreed personal terms with United.
According to the Sunday Times, Mourinho even phoned the 23-year-old in an attempt to persuade the former Palmeiras star to join him.
According to the Times, however, United chiefs refused to sanction a deal after Barcelona insisted upon a buyback clause.
United were also said to be put off by the conduct of Minas representatives during negotiations while they also rejected a proposal that included Portugal midfielder Andre Gomes, who also joined Everton on deadline day from Barcelona.
Speaking on Friday after Uniteds failure to add to the signings of Fred and Diego Dalot, Mourinho said: It will be a difficult season for everybody, not just for us.
I had my plans for many months and I find myself with the market closed in a situation I did not think I would be in. Its the last time I speak about it. Its over, the market is closed.
Thats football management. I think football is changing and managers should be called head coaches.
More: Manchester United FC