Women

Strictly Come Dancing 2018: Arlene Phillips to make shock return 9 years after she was axed

Editorial use only Mandatory Credit: Photo by Ken McKay/ITV/REX/Shutterstock (9932164b) Arlene Phillips 'Good Morning Britain' TV show, London, UK – 15 Oct 2018 ARLENE PHILLIPS – CHARLOTTE + OLIVIA All eyes will be on one couple this weekend… Katya and Seann, a week after their drunken-kiss hit the headlines. Former Strictly Judge, Arlene Phillips, gives us her verdict on this weekend's show and their dance of shame! DESK: Arlene

Arlene Phillips is set to make a dramatic return to Strictly Come Dancing – nine years after she was controversially axed from the show.

Arlene Phillips

The choreographer was dropped from the Strictly line-up when she was 66-years-old and was replaced by the then 30-year-old Alesha Dixon, sparking allegations of ageism against the BBC.

But now Arlene has decided to finally come back, as shes created a dance routine which will appear on Sunday nights results show starring the disabled and non-disabled dance company Candoco.

Speaking of her return to the show, Arlene admitted, “I did this because this is where my heart lies. I didnt do this about resolving anything with Strictly.”

She then added to The Sun, “Was it hard for me to say yes? Ive got to tell you, it was really hard.”

Read More: Strictly Come Dancing viewers worry Kevin Clifton is quitting the show after THIS

Arlene is currently gearing up for the big performance ahead of filming on Saturday night, and went on to admit she hasnt yet decided whether shell watch the show from the audience or not.

“Im not sure because I am supposed to be at an event anyway that day,” she confessed.

View this post on Instagram

I have loved working with these phenomenally talented dancers. Truly inspiring. Tune into @bbcstrictly on Sunday night to see the piece weve created. #lifeonmars #whatdancecanbe @candocodancecompany @mr_njonesofficial @mrs_katjones @jmanrara @aljazskorjanec @johannesradebe @grazianodiprima @mrantondubeke @lubamushtuk @gorka_marquez @trentwhiddon @nadiyabychkova @amy_dowden @ashleighhunter83

A post shared by Arlene Phillips CBE (@arlenephillipsofficial) on

“But I am not sure, at the moment I havent replaced myself. So of course it would be very emotional to be there in the studio.”

The performance will be set to David Bowies Life on Mars and will feature ten Candoco dancers as well as ten of the eliminated Strictly professionals including Anton Du Beke and Gorka Marquez.

Sharing a photo from rehearsals earlier this week, Arlene said, “I have loved working with these phenomenally talented dancers. Truly inspiring. Tune into @bbcstrictly on Sunday night to see the piece weve created.”

Meanwhile, following her dismissal from the panel in 2009, Arlene has revealed she was never told the reason behind the shock decision.

Speaking in an interview last year, Arlene said, “Ive never really been given a real reason [as to why I was axed]. I dont think I will ever know the answer.”

The BBC denied ageism was a factor in the line-up change at the time.

The post Strictly Come Dancing 2018: Arlene Phillips to make shock return 9 years after she was axed appeared first on Woman Magazine.

Related Articles

Back to top button