Mother who let diaper-wearing baby rot away to skeleton cleared of murder

Erika Murray hugs her lawyer Keith S. Halpern after being found not guilty of murder in Worcerster Superior Court in Worcester, Mass. Thursday, June 20, 2019. The Blackstone, Mass. mother concealed the remains of three dead infants in her squalid home and was charged with second-degree murder and child endangerment charges. (Rick Cinclair/Worcester Telegram & Gazette via AP)

Erika Murray was found not guilty of murder Thursday after police found three decomposing infants in her trash-filled home (Picture: AP/City of Blackstone)

A mother who let her diaper-wearing baby rot away to a skeleton in her trash-filled home has been cleared of murder.

Erika Murray, 35, was acquitted of second-degree murder on Thursday after prosecutors were unable to prove that she caused one of the infants deaths, Judge Janet Kenton Walker ruled.

Walker also ruled that Murray, a mother of seven, was mentally impaired and she did not understand how bad the conditions of her home had become, CBS reported.

Murray was arrested in Blackstone, Massachusetts in August 2014 when police discovered a dead infant stuffed in a closet of the filthy home, with the placenta still attached, near a dead dog in a separate bag.

A second babys body was found in another closet. A third was discovered diapered and fully clothed, but they were skeletal remains, prosecutors said.

BLACKSTONE, MA - SEPTEMBER 14: Workers in hazmat suits remove bags of waste from Erika Murray's home in Blackstone, Mass. on September 14, 2014. A 3-year-old girl and a 5-month-old girl were found in the home along with the bodies of three dead infants. (Photo by Jessica Rinaldi/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

Workers in hazmat suits remove bags of waste from Erika Murrays home in Blackstone on September 14, 2014. (Picture: Getty Images)

7107631 Neighbor tells mother's murder trial how house where two dead babies were found was covered in maggots and fleas Massachusetts woman has been indicted on two murder charges after the skeletal remains of three babies were found in her filthy home crawling with vermin in September, it was announced today. Erika Murray, 31, has been held on $1million bail after pleading not guilty to earlier charges, including fetal death concealment, reckless endangerment, assault and battery on a child and animal cruelty. Murray's attorney, Keith Halpern, said on Tuesday he's disappointed prosecutors decided to upgrade the charges.Prosecutors said the 5-month-old and a 3-year-old were found covered in their own feces and had been severely neglected. Police later searched the house and found the babies' remains hanging in bedroom closets. Also Tuesday, Murray's boyfriend, 38-year-old Raymond Rivera, who lived in the house, was arrested in Uxbridge and charged with child abuse and neglect related to the two younger children.

Authorities said some of the rooms could not even be accessed do to the filth and clutter (Picture: Town of Blackstone)

One of the two murder charges against her was dismissed earlier this month because a medical examiner could not determine whether the baby was born dead or alive.



She was never charged with the third babys death.

thumbnail for post ID 10046082Woman 'killed ex after seeing him with other woman then told cops "He jumped on my knife!"

Murray was also acquitted of child endangerment, however she was found guilty of two counts of assault and battery on a child.

Walker said Murray had: Cognitive deficits, personality disorder and victimization … produced extremely primitive coping mechanisms.

She was not conscious or aware of how bad everything had become.

Betsy Brown testifies during Erika L. Murray's trial in Superior Court, Tuesday, June 4, 2019 in Worcester, Mass. Murray, is charged in the deaths of two babies whose remains were found in her squalid home. (Rick Cinclair/Worcester Telegram & Gazette via AP)

Betsy Brown, Murrays neighbor, testifies during the trial in Superior Court, on June 4 (Picture: AP)

Murray waved her right to a jury trial, so her fate was in the hands of judge Walker.

The horrid conditions of Murrays home was originally reported bRead More – Source

Related Articles

Back to top button