Teenager left in coma after developing lung disease from vaping

Dangers of vaping

Maddie Nelson was left in a coma after three years of vaping (Picture: GoFundMe/Facebook)

A teenager suffered catastrophic lung damage after vaping every day for three years.

Maddie Nelson, 18, started to feel ill earlier this year but last month experienced severe back and kidney pain.

The student, from Utah, USA, was rushed to hospital struggling to breathe but the oxygen that medics gave her did not work.

Her sister Andrea said the situation went from serious to potentially fatal and an X-ray showed severe damage to her lungs.

The decision was made to put her into a medically-induced coma while she battled for life.

Vaping left me in a coma Maddie Nelson

Maddie was left unable to breathe on her own after developing lung disease from vaping (Picture: Gofundme)

Andrea added: On August 1, she officially received her diagnosis after two bronchoscopies. Test results showed she has been enduring acute eosinophilic pneumonia.

Her doctor suspects its from electronic vaping sources, this includes all supposedly “safe” alternatives to smoking such as e-cigarettes.



Acute eosinophilic pneumonia is a rare disease caused by a build-up of white blood cells in the lungs in response to inflammation.

Maddie was given steroids and was brought out of the coma after three days.

She is now breathing on her own but still needs oxygen at night for the tightness in her chest.

Maddie shared photos of herself in the hospital as she urged people to quit vaping: I am sharing my story so you all are aware that there is something crazy in these pens that is not safe and almost cost me my life.

I used to just tell myself it wont happen to me, but it can and will happen to you too…take my advice, dont smoke, dont vape. #vape #stopthevape.

Vaping left me in a coma Maddie Nelson

Maddie, 18, said she vaped for three years (Picture: Facebook)

Last week it emerged that the first person had died from vaping, which is being promoted as a safe alternative to traditional cigarettes.

The medical community has urged caution, saying electronic cigarettes have only been around for a decade and it is too early to promote them as safe.

Maddies sister Andrea said that young people are the guinea pigs of the popularising of “vape life” and after only a few years, we are seeing some pretty scary side effects.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that in the US nearly 200 people have contracted severe respiratory illnesses after vaping.

All of those affected have been teenagers or adults who had used an electronic cigarette or some other kind of vaping device.



Doctors said their illnesses resembled an inhalation injury with the lungs reacting to a caustic substance.

Vaping left me in a coma Maddie Nelson

Maddie Nelson was brought out of her coma after three days and now wants to raise awareness of the potential dangers of vaping (Picture: Gofundme)

CDC director Robert Redfield said: Vaping exposes users to many different substances for which we have little information about related harms – including flavourings, nicotine, cannabinoids and solvents.

In the UK, Public Health England maintain e-cigarettes are a highly effective tool to help people quit smoking.

However, there are concerns about the amount of young people taking up vaping because the products still contain highly-addictive nicotine.

Some vaping products have also been fouRead More – Source

Related Articles

Back to top button