This horrifying X-ray shows the oil-filled lungs of a 19-year-old boy whose vaping habit left him fighting for his life
Anthony Mayo, 19, fell seriously ill last week in Erie, Pennsylvania and he was unable to breathe on his own because his lungs had became severely congested with solidified vape oil.
Anthonys father, Kieth Mayo, told Metro US that doctors warned him right now, at the age of 19, (Anthonys) got the lungs of a 60-year-old, two-pack-a-day, smoker. The teens lungs are likely to be scarred for life, according to his doctor.
Kieth said his son had been vaping for approximately two years and had tried flavored oils such as blue raspberry, Swedish fish, cotton candy, cinnamon toast crunch, among others. He also vaped THC on occasion, which is the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.
Its solidified. Its caking everything inside of his lungs, Kieth said.
Anthony was first taken to the hospital on September 8 after he had developed a noticeable cough. Doctors assumed he had bronchitis and gave him an antibiotic, telling them he should recover in a few days.
Two days later, Anthony was pale and looked sick, so he went back to the emergency room. Doctors feared he may have been developing walking pneumonia, which inflames the lungs and may fill them with fluid, so they prescribed him a stronger antibiotic and steroid.
Keith said Anthony visited their family doctor two days later because he was looking really bad. His doctor bumped up his antibiotic and steroid. He also prescribed a puffer, which is a medicine that is inhaled to quickly treat coughing or shortness of breath.
But his condition only worsened. On Sunday, he spent the whole night coughing and returned to the emergency on Monday, where tests said that his oxygen levels were at 36%. Anything below 90% is considered dangerously low, according to the Mayo Clinic.
As the doctor says, anytime you put moisture into your lungs its not good…If you put oil and moisture into your lungs, now youre causing complications, Kieth said, explaining that a doctor likened it to bacon grease that hardened after it cooled.
Anthony is now recovering at Millcreek Community Hospital where doctors put him on 100% oxygen to allow him to breathe and help him expel some of the oil.
And then they heat (the oxygen mixture) and put a little moisture in it, so it will go in there and liquefy some of that stuff (caked oil) and encourage him to cough it up…the first couple days he has been coughing and it was blood-tinged, now its just brown, dark dark green, Kieth said.
He is going to have some scarring. Whether its profound, we dont know yet. Its a wait and see type of thing. Hes young, hes 19, so he can recover from this.
Kieth said his son vaped two to three times a day outside their home, but said he did not realize how detrimental vaping could be to his sons lungs.
His whole spin on it was it was cool and not that bad for you. I was just as guilty. I went along with it. I never got into it, but I didnt also prevent it either, he said, adding that he believes vape companies are targeting young people like his son.