World

Chinese F1 Grand Prix scheduled for April postponed due to coronavirus

64Views

Issued on: Modified:

The Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for April 19 has been postponed because of the “continued spread” of the coronovirus, motorsports governing body FIA announced Wednesday.

Advertising

Read more

FIA said promotors of the Shanghai race had requested a postponment “in view of the continued spread of novel coronavirus”.

“As a result of continued health concerns and with the @WHO (World Health Organisation) declaring the coronavirus as a global health emergency, the FIA and @F1 Formula 1 have taken these measures in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans.”

The Shanghai race, the fourth of the new season, becomes the latest—but easily the most high-profile—sports event to fall victim to the virus outbreak which has killed more than 1,100 people in China, where it emerged at the end of last year.

“The FIA and @F1 continue to work closely with the teams, promoter, CAMF and local authorities to monitor the situation,” FIA said.

“All parties will take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates later in the year should the situation improve.”

FIA added: “The Chinese Grand Prix has long been an important part of the F1 calendar with many passionate fansRead More – Source