World

China refuses international probe on Covid-19 source until final victory over disease

185Views

Issued on: Modified:

China will not invite international experts to investigate the source of Covid-19 until after securing the "final victory" over the virus, Beijing's UN ambassador in Geneva said Wednesday despite mounting calls for an independent probe into Chinas handling of the outbreak.

Advertising

Read more

China's priority is first beating the pandemic — and then countering what Chen Xu called the "absurd and ridiculous" US politicisation of the coronavirus crisis, he added in an online press briefing.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it is waiting on an invitation from China to take part in its investigations into the animal origins of the virus, first reported in the city of Wuhan in December.

The revelation came amid a growing international backlash against Chinas “wolf warrior” diplomats, who have launched an aggressive push-back against governments calling for an independent investigation into the outbreak that has killed more than 250,000 people across the world and plunged economies into a global recession.

>> Read more: The unmasking of China's 'mask diplomacy'

On Wednesday, when Chen was asked when the WHO could expect an invitation to conduct a probe, Chinas UN ambassador in Geneva replied: "The top priority, for the time being, is to focus on the fight against the pandemic until we win the final victory.

"It's not that we are allergic to any kind of investigations, inquiries or evaluations," he said, as they could aid international efforts to prepare for future public health emergencies.

"For whether or how the invitation will take place, we need to have the right priority setting at this moment, and on the other hand, we need the right atmosphere."

US focus on Wuhan lab

Chen said the atmosphere had been soured by "politically-motivated" accusations against China, "smearing, demonising" its handling of the initial outbreak.

US President Donald Trump has been increasingly critical, saying last week he had seen evidence linking Covid-19 to a maximum-security virology lab in Wuhan and threatening new trade tariffs.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday renewed criticism of Beijings handling of the outbreak.

"China could have spared the world a descent into global economic malaise. They had a choice but instead – instead – China covered up the outbreak in Wuhan," Pompeo told reporters.

"China is still refusing to share the information we need to keep people safe," Pompeo added.

Over the weekend, Pompeo maintained that there was "enormous evidence" showing that the new coronavirus originated in the Wuhan lab.

China on Wednesday once again hit back at Pompeos claims, saying he "doesn't have any" evidence.

"I think this matter should be handed to scientists and medical professionals, and not politicians who lie for their own domesticRead More – Source